TOTAL NUMBER OF SPECIES RECORDED IN BRITAIN AND IRELAND COMBINED IN 2015

As of 10 November 2015, a total of 430 species have been recorded this year

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 4 August 2010

ALPINE SWIFT on South Ronaldsay, Orkney

I managed to see the bird between 10.45 and 10.55 this morning. From Burwick I had walked up the Cleat Road to about 200 or 300 metres beyond the entrance track to the Tomb of the Eagles. I scanned the area behind the Tomb of the Eagles visitor centre and fairly quickly picked up the ALPINE SWIFT. It was an impressive bird, particularly when I was able to see it in flight with a Common Swift in the same view. I managed to get views of the bird in the scope but thought better and closer views could be had from behind the Tomb of the Eagles visitor centre, so walked back to Burwick, picked up the car and 20 minutes later was at the back of the visitor centre. However I looked for about 25 minutes without success. I couldn't see the 2 Common Swifts that I had also seen earlier either.I'm sure the bird is still around, so for those going to see it, a drive up the Cleat road (the road up to the Tomb of the Eagles) to beyond the entrance of the Centre might be a good first step. You are much higher here than the visitor centre and get a good view of the surrounding area (Barrie Hamill)

No comments:

Post a Comment