TOTAL NUMBER OF SPECIES RECORDED IN BRITAIN AND IRELAND COMBINED IN 2015

As of 10 November 2015, a total of 430 species have been recorded this year

Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 December 2011

Thorney Island CATTLE EGRET relocated

Kevin Stouse phoned me at 10am today to say that there were two CATTLE EGRETS feeding with cattle on the Warblington Farm field at SU 728 053 (Field Q on my Warblington map at http://ralph-hollins.net/warblington.htm ) and as I have dipped five times on what was probably the same bird at Thornham Marshes on Thorney Island I dashed down there to see them.

When I got there I had close views from the field gate where Church Lane turns into the church carpark but of the two birds I saw one had a short stubby yellow bill and the other (though smaller than a Little Egret which was also present) had the thin pointed greyish black bill of a juvenile Little Egret (other features agreed with this).

There were many other birds present including a big flock of Brent in the next field north and as the cattle were clustered round a hay feeder eating avidly I guess the Egret will remain there for some time. Many thanks to Kevin (Ralph Hollins)

No comments:

Post a Comment